Little Jack WHO, 'pulled out a plum'?

Daniels
Spratt
Sparrow
Horner

Weather Woes & Vintage Christine

Nov
2010

By Christine Lovatt

In my part of the world the weather has been behaving very strangely. Several months ago, in the dead of winter, I was sunning myself in beautiful warm sunshine and now that spring has sprung I’m driven indoors to huddle from the endless rain and chilly temps. Global warming? A natural cycle? What’s the weather like at your place and have you noticed a change? – Jessie x

Vintage Christine Lovatt

Weather has always been with us, so is almost synonymous with time. The word weather comes from the Old English weder, from the Old Norse vethr. The Latin tempestas meant weather and also meant time, and words for time also came to mean weather in Irish and Polish. In fact, words for weather were originally words for time in many languages.

To weather means to come through safely, such as a storm or a crisis.

Climate comes from the Greek klinein meaning to lean, referring to the slope of the Earth from equator to pole.

We often use the weather to describe how we feel, and it’s not surprising when you think that in the past, when these expressions originated, people were far more in touch with nature. They worked outdoors and the change of seasons affected their lives more than it does nowadays.

If we radiate good humour, we are said to have a sunny disposition, being reserved or aloof is described as icy, and a violent, stormy nature is tempestuous.

A casual light-hearted approach is said to be breezy.

Being under the weather means you’re not feeling well. This may be a nautical expression. The sailor who had to keep watch on the bow taking all the pounding and spray was said to be under the weather bow – he may have felt quite unwell after a stint of that!

To make heavy weather of something is to do something with more effort than necessary. To make hay while the sun shines is to make the most of the situation.

Happy puzzling, rain, hail or shine ...

Christine Lovatt

Weather Woes & Vintage Christine

November 03, 2010 at 4:46 PM

At the moment here in Melbourne the weather is rather cold and wet, I`m not complaining as we need more water in the dams, but I do like the sun, just not 35-40 degrees please.

November 03, 2010 at 5:05 PM

I have a friend who kept sending me all these panic letters about "global warming", and my response was "where? Certainly not in Eastern Oz" And as far as I can see, not anywhere else. Now they are talking the opposite. Panic merchants, in my opinion. The German word for weather is, by the way, Wetter (pronounced Vetter). Very similar root to the English. And I agree with you both, a couple of weeks ago I had almost a complete week of wearing total summer gear, and this week total winter, including a winter jacket when going out. Global "warming?????" I live in Melbourne, by the way. P.s. I do not like your "verification image" today: oz rot?

mattjn said:
November 03, 2010 at 8:45 PM

Lovely here in Coffs Harbour, was yesterday, and the day before, and will be tomorrow, and the day after, ad nauseum, etc. Love this climate. Moved from Melbourne with 40 years of 4 seasons in one day, had enough of that. If people moved away from a bad climate, Melbourne would be a ghost town.

Pagan said:
November 04, 2010 at 7:20 AM

I'm on the Gold Coast, in the not quite "Sunshine State". We are having our first true wet season in about 15 years. Which means it will be the first summer in a very long time when we haven't had to count the amount of water we use! Mind you it is being touted as unusually wet and all sorts of doom and gloom predictions about floods are making the rounds. Which we may well have, but that is part and parcel of a much more "normal" weather pattern for this corner of Aus.

November 04, 2010 at 9:57 AM

I agree Liesl, real evidence for global warming is getting hard to find. I'm becoming much less supportive of paying 25% more for my electricity just to contribute almost nothing to a global problem that only seems to exist in the heads of scientists and media whose income depends on it. It's November in Newcastle (Aust) and I am wearing three layers. Is there some way that we can reverse the trend and instead encourage global warming? (Just kidding).

November 04, 2010 at 3:56 PM

When in New Zealand we saw the dates for glacier lengths and they certainly seemed to be in retreat. I believe it is a trend worldwide.I guess when the glaciers regrow we can be more complacent about human impact on the planet. Anything we can do to reduce long lasting pollution has to be good for the place. After living with freezing frosts and sweltering dry summers for 20 years in western regions of NSW, I just love the relatively warm and green far north coast of NSW.

daffydill said:
November 05, 2010 at 11:48 AM

I feel the weather here in South East Queensland, this year, has been the most variable I have encountered for many years. There have been some of the wettest months on record; winter was quite mild although there were some very warm days and cold mornings; the coolness has dragged on to November when, on occasions, one still requires a cardigan, yet we are only a few weeks from summer. As for Global Warming, I am rather sceptical. I agree the climate is changing but I feel it changes all the time. I can recall during the 1960's or 1970's when the discussion was all about another ice age approaching.

Julie1001 said:
November 12, 2010 at 11:08 PM

I also live in SE Qld which has been very wet as others have said here. Cooler too in my opinion. Some of my older relatives are saying it's just like it was 40 or 50 years ago. I also am sceptical about global warming too.

beilkenv said:
November 14, 2010 at 7:09 PM

Weather in Perth is wonderful,just had a bbq lunch with family and weather is perfect.

Xrosie said:
November 15, 2010 at 7:56 AM

Weather in the Mount Mary area{S.A.} is queer. One day hot, we had 40 on our verandah, then down to 20, windy and rain. Even had a state-wide sheep-breeders alert. Most peculiar Momma, and we are supposed to be undergoing a World wide heating up!!!!!

quingi said:
December 10, 2010 at 6:46 AM

it's summer now and the wether has been alternating from warm to cold. we had a temp of 9 degrees last night and they expecting 15 today and it's very windy. a couple of days ago we had gale force winds and heavy rain. i'm in ballarat in victoria

December 22, 2010 at 6:35 AM

I have to say here in Adelaide it is very cold for this time of year. I even have my heater on, so strange. But the rain is good.