Which cartoon character takes its name from the state bird of New Mexico?

Foghorn Leghorn
Tweety
Road Runner
Woody Woodpecker

Hitori Island holiday!

Oct
2009

By Dr. Play

It's heating up here at YouPlay!  We received some great responses to my previous post about allowing unlimited hints for the Giant Crossword, which started us thinking: what other enhancements can be made to our sudoku and logic lineup to improve the game experience for you?  We're committed to providing the best quality, innovative puzzles and are always looking for new ideas.

During a leisurely game of Hitori Island yesterday, something occured to Miranda that could help us start this discussion.

The idea is to allow you to choose whether correct rows and columns are displayed as such, before the entire puzzle is complete.  So, we want to know: do you want to be able to choose whether you see when a row or column is filled in correctly?

Some puzzling purists will say that the best way to do a computer-based puzzle is to mimic the way the puzzle would be done on paper - with no feedback to indicate correctness, until the puzzle is both complete and correct.  Others would say that it becomes easier to enjoy a puzzle that lets you know, piece by piece, when a part of the puzzle has been solved.

So, YouPlayers, it's over to you: play Hitori Island or another of the games in that category and tell us what you think!  Which other enhancements would you like to see for our sudoku and logic games?  Help us continue bringing you great new features and innovative puzzle games by having your say!

Post a comment on this blog entry.

PS. I have it on good authority that the 'early-access' release of Trivia Combat is imminent!  Upgrade today

Dr. Play.

Hitori Island holiday!

yow1e said:
October 02, 2009 at 1:23 PM

No, straight sudoku is right as it is. What will you do next, highlight rows and columns in sudoku challenge, no way. You want an idea [1] windoku challenge [2] addoku challenge [3] hex sudoku [4], what about the crosswords., id est general knowledge challenge or how about [5] classic crossword challenge. The more challenges the better.

anjam said:
October 02, 2009 at 2:59 PM

I prefer feedback, as it enables me to tackle puzzles at a more difficult level than I could with pen and paper - this means I learn how to solve the harder ones. An option is fine, but please don't take the feedback away.

Julie1001 said:
October 02, 2009 at 3:09 PM

I also prefer it the way it is now. An option is fine with me but I like to know I have it right as I go along.

daffydill said:
October 02, 2009 at 3:34 PM

I prefer to see the rows or columns highlighted as they are completed correctly, as it is at present.

October 02, 2009 at 4:10 PM

Thanks for asking - I prefer to know how it's going, so feedback is good. Could you make the puzzle printable for those who like to do it the hard way? And with feedback for those who do it online. Then everyone would be happy. Btw - no matter how fast I do them, a slower person gets thousands more points. A bit frustrating, as we've mentioned before.

October 02, 2009 at 4:14 PM

I love the feedback on the puzzles but for purists you could have a no feedback button to press if preferred. I don't do the puzzles on paper as they just frustrate me.

October 02, 2009 at 6:29 PM

I think I really enjoy the way it is run now. To change it will only make it easier. I want my brain to work!!!

LSBruce said:
October 03, 2009 at 10:24 AM

I do Hitoris on another site where right answers aren't verified and I prefer it on that site because the puzzles aren't timed - and that's what's crucial here. From what I can gather, on this site you give roughly equal weight to speed and accuracy and, since inevitably with hitori, clicking once is quicker than clicking twice, the fastest way to do them on your site is to have completed lines highlighted as this means in most cases you need only work out which are the black squares! On the whole though, I think most puzzles would be better without any highlights provided you took account of whether people are using them or not in the Leader Boards lol

Madisonn said:
October 03, 2009 at 12:46 PM

I like the idea of a no feedback button. Some days I want feedback, some I'm up for more of a challenge. While you're improving, why don't you add Extreme and Evil levels to Shape Shifte Adduko, my favorite game?

deeneecee said:
October 04, 2009 at 3:51 PM

I love this game, But as it is. I hope you don't change it. But please if you do, give us the option to play it as it is.

October 04, 2009 at 6:15 PM

I love both sorts, like adduko, that doesn't fill in rows, but I do look forward to doing puzzels like x adduko, where it does

grub84 said:
October 05, 2009 at 4:47 PM

would love to have the option of turning of feedback to provide a bit more of a challenge in completing the puzzle.

yow1e said:
October 06, 2009 at 8:57 AM

Why can we not have exreme and evil combinations in shapeshifter addoku? I would like you to change the format of sudoku challenge., id est so that a player can themselves nominate another (as an opponent), prior to the program itself nominating someone. Est believed that some from the above would support.

Anglican said:
October 06, 2009 at 10:01 PM

Like most of the feedback I say Yes, had 'no feedback of completed lines' as an option we can chose on the days we feel brave/clever and, perhaps factor the score for those who don't have feedback. As to printing puzzles out - I have always presumed that is how some people get times that are impossibly quick ie they cheat, do it on paper then go back to start the puzzle and just fill it in without having to think - what's the point of that?

PetraH-G said:
October 09, 2009 at 7:04 AM

I don't play Hitori Island often, but do play many of the other logic puzzles (love CALkuro). I like having the option of being given feedback as some days I like to complete the puzzles without any feedback and other days, when I am feeling lazy, I just enjoy completing them without the brain strain. So I would like the games like Calkuro, Adduko etc to staty the way they are.

October 11, 2009 at 2:09 PM

It's a great idea to give the option, but not to enforce it. I think that this would work in most games (I know I rely on the option a bit in Hitori Island, so it'd provide a nice challenge to go without, but I make do without in most other games). The one exception is Shapeshifter: since there are (at Extremem level) often multiple possibile solutions, but only one that's considered "correct", you don't want to penalise a player for not getting the solution that you want. If you're not sure what I mean by multiple possible solutions, I've put an alternate solution to today's one (11/10) on my Photobucket: http://s42.photobucket.com/albums/e334/visible_fred/?action=view&current=Shapeshifter1.jpg

October 13, 2009 at 11:39 AM

Re Hitori Island: If you want a puzzle that will appeal to the masses (average people) then continue to highlight correct answers as you do at present. This feedback is valuable to people who are trying to get to grips with the game and it can help more experienced players if they get stuck. I used the highlighted items a lot in the beginning while I was learning how to play the game, but now I usually ignore it - unless I can't find another move. The option suggested by others to allow players to choose whether or not they get feedback sounds like a great compromise to keep the purists and clever people happy. If the highlights are taken away, beginners may just give up as the puzzle is 'too hard' or 'it doesn't make sense' etc. Puzzles should be fun so people can enjoy doing them, get a sense of achievement and come back for more. It would be a shame if beginners couldn't figure out how the puzzles work and so gave up in frustration before they really got into them.

October 19, 2009 at 4:46 PM

it'd probably be best if you just gave people the ability to enable or disable the feature of highlighting the correct bits. For me, the colours that highlight the correct bits in sudoku are a bit distracting and somewhat shocking, although thats probably becuase i do my sudokus in a lethargic frame of mind that's not good for my scores