Prince Charles is the Duke of WHICH English county?

Devon
Yorkshire
Sussex
Cornwall

Hot tips from Avatar Chris!

Oct
2010

By Jessie

Did you know that some days I turn into a knight in shining armour? Or a racing car driver? I can also become an Ancient Roman citizen (hungry days), a geisha (pouty days), an astronaut (spacey days) or a skeleton (um... skinless days).

Some days you might see an awkward looking creature with a boxy head and springs for arms attempting to dance, and you might think to yourself “Hmm, Rosie from The Jetsons is a long way from home”. But it’s just me killing time as a robot.

Today for instance, I am a penguin.

Just how do I do it? Through my YP Avatar of course. And you too can change your look to suit your mood anytime you like!

This week I’m very pleased to present some tips on how to dress your avatar from our very own Chief Avatar Designer to the Stars (that’s you) – Avatar Chris:

Tips from Avatar Chris

Wearing specialised clothes and accessories

Choosing a different body type in the NECKS category will enable you to wear certain items of clothing and accessories such as dresses.

To remove the t-shirt from the background, select the SHIRT category and choose the avatar that has no shirt on it. You can now wear jackets that have been designed specifically for these necks.

Animated Avatar Items

A YouPlay avatar allows you to show off your individual style on the site, and as such, some items are animated. This means that - depending on when you hit Save & Exit - your item may look slightly different from others you see on the site. For example, a shirt pattern with numbers on it will display different numbers each time so not everyone has the same t-shirt.

The Closet

You will find Premium items that you have previously purchased in the Closet tab (not the Store tab).

Avatar Chris

Do you have any questions for Avatar Chris? Are there any items you would specifically like to see or have you encountered any issues while creating your mini-me? Add them to the Comments section. Why not also post a picture of your avatar dressed up in your favourite costume!

Jessie x

PS: Don't forget to check out our NEW costumes in the Store - perfect for Halloween! Some items are exclusive to Premium Members - upgrade today for instant access (plus a BOUNTY of other benefits)!

Hot tips from Avatar Chris!

October 22, 2010 at 5:50 PM

Chris, Dressing up an avatar is fun and mine changes on a regular basis. One day i wanted to have green skin but it is not an option. Is there any chance of varying the skin, lips etc to allow for quirkier colours? At one stage we did ask for a present for when a friend has a birthday and we had a virtual party. Sometimes it would be good to have an archive of our previous looks for a quick change. Labels on the foreground features would be good as it can be difficult to determine what they are in the store view. Keep up the good work!

rhve said:
October 22, 2010 at 10:23 PM

Yes it is fun to change the avatar to suit the mood, the weather, the season, or to stir my grandchildren. One wants her own premium account just so she can dress up the avatar. I would like to see white hair included and I agree about labels on the foreground items. These things are often hidden behind the price. And an archive of previous looks would be interesting.

October 23, 2010 at 1:23 PM

I have always enjoyed changing my avatar, since I could no longer just have the basic outline that I actually preferred. but for a long time I have retained the koala in the background. Could you perhaps have different Oz animals in addition?

October 23, 2010 at 5:04 PM

Can we have a rose between the teeth?

Kisharn said:
October 23, 2010 at 6:05 PM

Chris, I have to admit, even though I am really busy with college and all, I love to change my avatar. Today I'm a vampireish thing. I love that I don't know what I'll be tomorrow; it depends! Have a great day, Bye

spanky said:
October 24, 2010 at 11:16 AM

Love your work Chris. How about some Rocky Horror themed stuff for Halloween?

Mo said:
October 24, 2010 at 7:20 PM

Is it only premium members that can have pictures? I can make one but it never stays.

Jessie: Premium Members can access exclusive items - but ALL members are able to create an avatar. Are you hitting SAVE and EXIT once you have finished styling yours?

lamby said:
October 24, 2010 at 9:00 PM

do you press "save & exit" when you finish?

Jessie: Yep that's exactly what you need to do after creating or editing your avatar

October 25, 2010 at 10:29 AM

Hi YouPlayers - I thought I should point out that Avatar Chris is a part time staffer - I'm sure he'll reply to you all when he comes in later this week - so keep those questions and requests coming! Jess

October 25, 2010 at 10:35 AM

I love creating my avatar! It's so much fun. Thanks for all the new items. My suggestions would be more hairstyles, more colours in hair range, Hot Pink plain background, Uluru, islands, volcano, cave writing (backgrounds), countries/culture traditional dress, tattoos, more occupational uniform - firefighter, artist, athlete, chef and more accessories - sunnies, earrings, necklaces. Also could we have some more Moes for Movember? Just anything new and modern that you can add would be great! Adds interest. Thanks Chris

relle said:
October 25, 2010 at 11:15 AM

Avatar styling is a great way to have fun with my friends here on YP! We often change them for special events or just for our own interests! I'm dressed ready for a holiday at the moment! A very big thank you to all the pink supporters! XOAFZQ

October 25, 2010 at 12:36 PM

I would like to be able to wear my earrings and a necklace at the same time. Is that possible please?

bronski4 said:
October 25, 2010 at 12:52 PM

Hiya..I love Youplay and everything about it ! I especially love changing my avatar and surprising my friends on here. I agree that everyone should have a go at changing their avatars, it is so much fun! My additions to your ever growing list would be for more hair accessories and more hair styles.Also if you could add some more emoticons i.e: thumbs up/thumbs down would be gr8.

October 25, 2010 at 3:38 PM

Hi Chris...wish some players would be more honest about their looks! We can't all be pretty & glamorous! Let's all be the real "YOU" & enjoy the game, & accept that beauty is more than skin deep! Please please put up more natural skin types, such as blotchy & pimples & emoticons that express how you really feel, such as poke out a tongue etc! Truely very grateful, sincerely, Lipon!

October 26, 2010 at 4:32 PM

Liponstick, the avatar is not really meant to look anything like us. After all, who has these beautiful long pointy ears, like I love to have on my avatar?

October 26, 2010 at 4:51 PM

I'm glad they're not meant to look like us! My avatar looks more than 40 years younger than the genuine kragzy article! Some white hair a few wrinkles (actually a lot of wrinkles) would be more accurate, but I'll stick with my avatarial illusion for now.

maxrox910 said:
October 26, 2010 at 8:45 PM

It's great to have such a variety of options available for our avatars but maybe we could have more colour options in the jacket section? Also it would be fun to have a feminine version of the raised eyebrow; a wink; lips blowing a kiss :)

maxrox910 said:
October 26, 2010 at 8:49 PM

further to Bronski's request for more emoticons, a blushing face one would be great for those of us that often get answers wrong in Trivia Combat....

October 26, 2010 at 10:48 PM

I agree maxrox!! I would use that one regularly..hehe

October 26, 2010 at 11:13 PM

Great idea maxrox! I also like calypso belle's idea about being able to have more than one accessory at a time. Some hoop earrings would be great to go with the present outfit but I have a flower in the hair. To Lipinstick....I have the natural face with blemishes every minute of the day. Its fun to dress up in a new personality, try green and pink hair, a christmas elf look with extendable ears or other looks.

October 27, 2010 at 10:05 PM

Agree with Bronski3 a blushing face please! & maxrox910 with the wink, it would redeem my faith in reality!

noodle9 said:
October 28, 2010 at 10:04 AM

could we get some fancy hats in time for the Melbourne Cup?

October 28, 2010 at 12:40 PM

Personally I like to keep my face the same and hair colour and just change my outfits and backgrounds. Thanks for all the suggestions. I love the idea of a cave background and a volcano. Blushing is a nice idea although if we should blush because of a poor performance in Trivia Combat I’m afraid I would be doomed to spend eternity with pink cheeks! I’m sorry to say that at the moment we cannot currently add more hair colours or labels below avatars. I love holidays, especially Halloween, I like creating a spooky avatar for myself. Which is your favourite holiday to dress up for?

bronski4 said:
October 29, 2010 at 3:22 PM

Well....where do i start! Each and every one is a favourite of mine cos i just loooove dressing up! Can't wait for Melbourne Cup next and after that Christmas!

October 29, 2010 at 5:26 PM

Any excuse to change avatar and get creative is a good one!

dj1 said:
October 30, 2010 at 8:53 PM

Chris, I'm glad you have ditched that dopey hat and are trying some new looks. Now just lift your game and you will be a credit to botdom. I love Bron's suggestion of a red face for wrong answers!

relle said:
November 04, 2010 at 10:26 AM

Avatar Chris, I'm glad your hair grew back & covered your recent exposed brains! Let's see all the bots moe it up for Moevember!