Which word of Spanish origin is a type of flowering plant?

Albondiga
Albino
Alfalfa
Armadillo

Be my Valentine - and WIN!

Feb
2011

By Jessie

For this was on seynt Volantynys day

Whan euery bryd comyth there to chese his make.

These lines ("For this was sent on St. Valentine’s Day, When every bird cometh there to choose his mate") were written by Geoffrey Chaucer in 1382, and are thought to be the first association of St. Valentine’s Day with the idea of ‘romantic love’. Chaucer wrote his poem to honour the first anniversary of the engagement of King Richard II of England to Anne of Bohemia (they were married eight months later when they were both 15 years old). Although it was the first association of love with a Saint, historians believe the date was most likely sometime in May (not many birds mating in February in England!)

Before Chaucer, the Ancient Romans celebrated the festival of Lupercalia, which incorporated fertility rites and was observed from February 13-15.

During medieval times, a ‘High Court of Love’ was established in Paris on Valentine’s Day in 1400. The court dealt with love contracts, betrayals, and violence against women. Back in these times, an intricate code of chivalry was inherent to the day-to-day lives of Knights and ladies. Allegedly, the judges of the High Court were selected by women on the basis of a poetry reading!

The grand old chestnut Roses are Red has its origins in Gammer Gurton’s Garland, a collection of British Nursery Rhymes from 1784:

The rose is red, the violet's blue
The honey's sweet, and so are you

Thou are my love and I am thine

I drew thee to my Valentine

The lot was cast and then I drew

And Fortune said it shou'd be you.

The popularity of paper Valentine’s, made from cardstock, lace and ribbons soared in the 19th Century when the age of modern factories and machinery made production cheaper and more efficient.

And on to today. Gone are the lingering looks, smouldering kisses and vows of eternal passion of yore; now you can’t leave the house without being bombarded with a cacophony of advertising ordering you to purchase an expensive gift for your beloved or risk being cast aside for the crime of cheap neglect.

Nope, the excesses of V. Day are not really my thing. But am I just a bitter old cynic? How do you celebrate Valentine’s Day? Do you think one day of the year is enough for declarations of affection – or should love be a spontaneous thing, offered for free 365 days of the year?

While you’re pondering on the affairs of the heart, why not enter our Valentine’s Day Trivia Tournament! The competition runs from the 11th Feb until the 15th – and there’s a $250 cash prize up for grabs! How well do you know your Lotharios from your Lancelots? Our themed questions will test your knowledge about all things amore, and get you in the mood for some good ol’ lovin’. Barry Manilow soundtrack is optional.

ENTER THE TOURNAMENT HERE

Jessie x

Be my Valentine - and WIN!

nanny24 said:
February 14, 2011 at 9:11 PM

So totally commercialised these days. The deeds that are promoted commercially, should be acts that are spontaneous and from the heart, and at any time of year. A surprise is always more greatly appreciated. Nothings better than a warm hug.

axolotl said:
February 15, 2011 at 5:32 PM

Congratulations to all of the Valentine's trivia competition winners! The rivalry was fierce, but the games were played with good humour and, dare I say it, amore. Can't wait for the next one!

February 15, 2011 at 5:46 PM

Great to see the worthy regulars in the winner's circle. We just need all the others to come in regularly to get their skills up!(and to play against of course)

mma said:
February 16, 2011 at 9:28 AM

cheers for another great competition although it was a bit of a bummer that it was only for Aussies. I will save a few dollars though by not renewing my, clearly worthless, 'Premium Membership'.

nickflick said:
February 16, 2011 at 2:07 PM

I feel sorry for you Mma. You played really well and got your high score early on in the competition. I missed out on a prize also even though I'm an Aussie. My husband thought it would be funny to put my nationality for my Avatar as Burundi. I thought they would know I'm Aussie despite what my Avatar says. Doesn't yours say you're 104 yrs old? Avatars aren't real after all.

fraulein said:
February 16, 2011 at 3:04 PM

Congrats to the mighty Combatwombat and other top players in the Valentine's Day Trivia Challenge but I was also disappointed for Mma as she lead the competition for much of the time. I had no idea that this competition was only for Aussies. Guess I need to read the rules more carefully.

nickflick said:
February 16, 2011 at 5:35 PM

Sorry Youplay, I see you made the correction to the leader boards. Thank you kindly.

February 17, 2011 at 3:56 PM

I would like to take this opportunity to congratulate and thank all the players who took part in the Valentines Day competition. The time, effort and talent expended by each and every competitor ensured that this competition was a highly enjoyable and stimulating experience. While at the end of the day, there may have been winners and losers on the scoreboard, to my way of thinking that does not reveal the true picture. Merely by taking the decision to participate in this tournament,every player becomes an immediate winner. My congratulations to all, and I look forward to the pleasure of your company in future tournaments.

relle said:
February 17, 2011 at 4:43 PM

I couldn't have said that better MereMale! It's not all about winning, it's about the fun you have just been here with good players! I'm hardly ever a top scorer but I do appreciate your kindness to all players in a game with a Hi,a smile or gg wd! Thanks MM!

February 17, 2011 at 10:27 PM

Well said MereMale and I totally agree with you Relle. Thank you also to YouPlay for providing the competition and prizes! I look forward to participating in the next one!

February 21, 2011 at 10:50 AM

Thanks YP for the prize pack which arrived today. Love the goodies!