Which of these is NOT a famous art museum?

Guggenheim
Tate
Louvre
Hofbrauhaus

The end of the world as we know it?

Jan
2012

By Jessie

The New Year’s well and truly upon us and in these crazy, uncertain times I think it’s sensible that we take the Scouts motto to heart and be prepared. So in the interests of community service I thought I’d round-up a few predictions about what’s in store for 2012, decided upon by professionals with job titles like ‘Futurist’ and ‘Coolhunter’ (i.e., the people who secretly rule the world).

If sometime this year you find yourself falling into paroxysms of delight over an amber traffic light, or weeping over the beauty of a bottle of Fanta, be sure to give yourself a pat on the back for being in tune with the zeitgeist and fashionably on-trend. For you see, the experts at the Pantone Colour Institute have declared Tangerine Tango to be THE colour of 2012.

As Pantone Executive Director Leatrice Eiseman explains, “There’s the element of encouragement with orange, it’s building on the ideas of courage and action that we want to move on to better things… Consumer spending is a big player in reviving the economy and it needs adrenaline”.

Indeed. So if you develop an uncontrollable urge to mug a fire fighter for their jacket on the way to pick up some milk, well, all I can say is god speed. (Incidentally, 2011 was the year of ‘Honeysuckle’, a hot-pink hue that evoked cheerfulness tinged with nostalgia.)

Now I don’t know what comes to mind for you when your thoughts turn to the colour orange, but for ME, nothing screams that feisty, fiery glow more than a giant asteroid, hurtling towards the earth from its deathly trajectory behind the sun. And what do you know? That’s exactly what some predict will happen on December 21st 2012, when the Mayan Mesoamerican Long Count calendar comes to an abrupt end. Coincidence… or not? "Courage"? "Action"? Could those Pantone peeps be on to something?

I’d go easy on the Christmas shopping next year because apparently all the planets will line up in a truly cataclysmic fashion, causing the two poles of Earth to split apart, and then a giant supernova will explode, and there’ll be a solar storm, and all the supervolcanoes will erupt, and… and then the rogue planet Nibiru will probably crash into the Earth, and most of the world will be destroyed, but luckily an angsty, yet plucky science fiction writer and part-time limousine driver will survive against all odds and be re-united with his ex-wife and family before saving the future of humanity from a new colony in Africa…

Um oh wait, actually that last bit was from a John Cusack movie.

Some people believe the end of the Long Calendar will mean literally that: the apocalyptic ‘end of days’. Other, more ‘glass half full’ types think that the Earth will enter a period of higher spiritual consciousness, and love and light will prevail. Some think that nothing will happen, and the calendar will simply tick over to the next cycle, and then there are many, many others who think the whole thing is a load of hokum.

Personally, I don’t believe the end is nigh. But I’m also not one to burst a rollickin’ doomsday conspiracy theory! Heck on quiet days I enjoy nothing more than discussing the latest incidence of mass hysteria around the office kettle - it’s the closest I get to playing sport. However I do realise that not everyone has the same (sadly, unrealised) dream to write C-grade telemovies for a living as me, so in the interests of fair reporting, I should declare that NASA and many other actual scientists and scientific bodies have collectively scoffed the 2012 Mayan Prophecy to pieces as being illogical, improbable and based upon the insane ravings of people who spend too much time on YouTube.

Doubter or not, I’ll probably still cast a nervous eye to the heavens once or twice on the day though. If I’m not Christmas shopping.

And if the apocalypse fails to materialise, we can always celebrate on Dec 22nd with some flamin’ fire and hot coals of our own, because (along with bitter greens, food trucks and foraging), biodynamic barbecuing looks set to be the next big thing in food. Pass the tongs!

What are your predictions for 2012?

Jessie x

The end of the world as we know it?

January 11, 2012 at 2:36 PM

LOL, Jessie - At least you're dressed for the part! It all sounds very exciting - hopefully someone will post all the action on YouTube ;-)

January 11, 2012 at 5:56 PM

well jessie i hope 2012 will be a great year and that we are all still around for a long time yet

cgull said:
January 11, 2012 at 7:18 PM

I along with others are not going to sit on a perch this year- the puzzle remains- keep playing I say and when you solve the puzzle of 21st Dec 2012 dont tell us the answer :)

January 12, 2012 at 12:13 AM

Not sure that Tangerine Tango is my colour, but I'll give it a try.

bigsister said:
January 12, 2012 at 5:26 AM

End of the world on Dec. 21! Well if it happens I am ready to meet my maker, if not happy puzzling for 2013

January 12, 2012 at 9:03 AM

Being one of life's eternal optimists, I will carry on puzzling and take each day as it comes. All the best to Lovatts and You Play staff and my fellow players. Let us all enjoy the year 2012!

January 12, 2012 at 7:20 PM

My husband is keen on orange and red. Myself I love blue, but all that aside, may all puzzle-addicts continue to solve until well past 2012. Puzzle-on!

Padendi said:
January 12, 2012 at 9:55 PM

Tangerine Tango - Penguin paperbacks, the dutch soccer team shirts, 1977 digital alarm clock, nothing new about it. After the soccer game it is good to relax with a novel and get moving again when the bell rings.

January 13, 2012 at 12:14 AM

Tangerine Tango just isn't my colour, it clashes with the red hair quite a bit but I'm willing to give it a try! Apart from that I'll just keep happily puzzling and pretending that nothing nasty will ever happen and hope all YouPlayers have a wonderful 2012.

January 13, 2012 at 8:17 AM

Just a reminder that this Colour of the Year stuff is entirely aimed at making you buy things you don't need. We're made to feel old fashioned in last year's colour, with the hope that we will throw out perfectly good clothes and but new ones. RESIST! DON'T BE SUCKERED IN BY MARKETEERS!! Cheers

elliej said:
January 13, 2012 at 8:51 AM

Wow... I just bought a new car (coincidentally) it's orange! How very 2012 of me!! The only ideas of courage and action involved though were: (1)Need new car desperately before old conks out, and (2)Ooooh... that one's pretty! Any forward thinking about being fashionably on-trend for the coming New Year could only be accidental on my part!

January 13, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Tangerine Mango sounds better. I wish you a fruitful year 2012.

January 13, 2012 at 4:56 PM

My avatar is braver than I am. I'll stick to blue, and be old-fashioned.

no1llama said:
January 14, 2012 at 2:13 AM

Kragzy, you're right! Why throw out perfectly good clothes just because they are 'so last year'? I personally have the perfect dress for this year. It may be 24 years old, and about 4 sizes too small for me, but if I had thrown it out, there would have been nothing in my wardrobe that was Tangerine Tango! As for the end of the Mayan Calendar, I read a book about that a few years ago; written by Barbara Clow(not 100% sure of the spelling). When I weighed it up against all the other theories,I came to the conclusion that if things get really bad, at least I might lose a few kilos and fit back into that Tangerine Tango dress!

dj1 said:
January 14, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Kragzy, I agree with you 100%. I probably take it a bit too far though, because I wear the clothes until they look like fishnet stockings before I chuck them. Fashionable, no - but comfortable, yes!

spoggy said:
January 14, 2012 at 4:30 PM

jess ? the mayan calendar is just like all calendars ?? it will end ,, and a new one will begin ,, no end of the world ,, no armaggedon ,, no catastrophic events .

Jessie: My tongue is firmly wedged against my cheek, Spoggy!

nan_j said:
January 14, 2012 at 4:35 PM

well said spoggy.

kemiker said:
January 14, 2012 at 6:34 PM

one of the beliefs of the end-of-the-worlders is that the planets "line up" on Dec 21. This is one of the most easily disproved of their ridiculous ideas, as anyone with half a brain can go out at night over a month or two, track the planets and see that there is no way that they are even close to lining up.

January 15, 2012 at 9:12 AM

the end of the world!bring it on.

Ozmaid said:
January 15, 2012 at 4:56 PM

ATM my neighbour is playing some unearthly noise that he thinks is music...so at this point in time I would not mind if the " end was nigh".

Frin05 said:
January 16, 2012 at 8:27 AM

I plan to live forever..... so far, so good!

kemiker said:
January 16, 2012 at 5:01 PM

like the guy who fell off the tall building - as he passed each floor on the way down he was heard to say "so far, so good"

no1llama said:
January 16, 2012 at 11:36 PM

I remember feeling like the world was going to end when I learned that the Far Side-Off The Wall calendars had finished.

bhaiteeo said:
January 26, 2012 at 1:45 AM

AS THE DESIDERATA SAYS 'NO DOUBT THE UNIVERSE IS UNFOLDING AS IT SHOULD' !

ausme said:
January 30, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Colours? The rainbow is my favourite. It reminds me of God's promise not to flood the planet anymore. Clothing? some of my favourite suits go back 15 years or more! (I've outgrown them I believe). End of the World? It will surely come and there is no guesswork involved. Just read God's book - the bible - and yes, I will live eternally in God's world for he "inhabits eternity" for I believe in God's only begotten Son - even the LORD JESUS CHRIST - who came to earth as a babe to save the world from it's sinful consequences. And even as He arose up from the dead to die no more, so shall I and all who likewise believe Him. AMEN. So is the Christian Faith. I do hope I have my apostrophes in the right place by the way.