Which of these 1970s films was a comedy?

"Moonraker"
"Herbie Rides Again"
"It's Alive!"
"Mad Max"

Budget Bluster

May
2012

By Jessie

YouPlayers, can I just say this. It’s a no-brainer that we here at YP HQ have made a non-core promise to all our members (especially the battlers, everyday working families, latte-sipping lefties and Chardonnay socialists) that going forward, we will increasingly push the envelope 110% and think outside the square to deliver our benchmark outcomes. Having said that, at this point in time, the jury is still out and there is no magic bullet.

It’s Federal Budget Time – let the clichés and weasel word spotting begin!

There is a widely held assumption that most political rhetoric sounds something like this: “mwah wah mer…spin… wah wah… lies…mwah ah ahhh…snoo-oooo re…” But I disagree!

Listen closely to the surrounding media commentary and you’d be convinced that all this talk about ‘bottom-lines’ and ‘longer-term drivers’ wasn’t all about the economy. (“Oh Treasurer, your economic fundamentals are sooo strong; you’ve really got me excited about some tight fiscal discipline”…)

Although as someone who hasn’t achieved surplus since about 1985 I should probably stop the mockery and smarten up my pecuniary attitude, lest I end up allowing the private sector to mine my assets.

Sometimes, politics spews forth a phrase so impressive it achieves instant celebrity status within the surrounding vernacular. In fact a quick Google search reveals that as global citizens we are all united by Plato’s observation that “wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something”.

Just a few examples – of which there are so so very many. In the 2003 Ontario general election, Canadian and PC Party member Ernie Eves outed rival Dalton McGuinty as an "evil reptilian kitten-eater from another planet." Former Columbian president Julio César Turbay Ayala once claimed "I'm not in favour nor against, but quite the opposite".

With startling prescience of mind, Hungary’s former Prime Minister Viktor Orbán philosophised “There were many of us but not enough of us” about a lost election. And who could forget our own Kevin Rudd’s BBQ-themed plea for a “fair shake of the sauce bottle’, causing a million Australians to reach for the nearest steak knife to hack their own ears off in embarrassment.

Comments please! Which political cliché makes you want to swerve into oncoming traffic?

Mother’s Day Competition Winners

Congratulations to the following winners in our Mother’s Day competition. I loved, loved reading your stories and memories, my arms got all goose-bumpy. To all our beautiful YP mums – have a wonderful day on Sunday.

1st prize (Set of 5 Diane Blacklock novels)
: Nita70

• karenzkreationz
  • Yvonne Clements
  • skbou
  • Angela Benson
  • kiararenea
  • Melanie Jane Jonker

WINNERS: If your name appears on this list, please send me an email with your full name and postal details so I can arrange delivery of your prize: jessicag@lovattspublishing.com

Jessie x

PS: If you’re still stuck for a great Mother’s Day gift idea, have you thought about a Lovatts Puzzles magazine subscription? I recommend the 6 month BIG Crosswords sub – great value for hours of entertainment.

Budget Bluster

May 10, 2012 at 5:01 PM

well jess its that time again dont think anything will change how about we make the pollies live on a pension for a month see what happenes than

May 11, 2012 at 1:36 AM

I agree noonee, I'm on a DSP and it's nigh on impossible to make ends meet. There's not much left after food, utilities, petrol etc but having said that I do have a roof that I own over my head. The Pollies should have been the one's to live on $2 a day in a recent campaign. Re pollie bloopers - I recall George W Bush saying "most of our imports come from overseas"!! These are the people running our world, heaven save us.

pattyann said:
May 11, 2012 at 7:19 AM

its almost the same in the states.

Xrosie said:
May 11, 2012 at 7:41 AM

Guess the pensioners miss out as usual, but thats life. How much increase will the polies give themselves?

maggaz said:
May 11, 2012 at 8:40 AM

Yes, the pensioners missed again. I don't know how the pollies can justify the amounts they receive (can't say earn), they must have fantastic bank accounts or investments. They just wouldn't be able to survive on our money, but how I would love to see them really try.

dj1 said:
May 11, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Ever noticed how the phrase "The fact of the matter is" usually precedes an outright lie or evasion?

May 11, 2012 at 10:58 AM

the champion of polly-speak would have to be Paul Keating with "The recession we had to have". What a dear, understanding chap he must have been.

May 11, 2012 at 9:17 PM

I will never understand WHY the pollies are paid so very high. Even when they retire they still receive a fantastic amount of money. it really seems unfair, there are so many struggling families in our country & they keep bringing more into the country, it is hard to understand. They have no idea how the other half lives, they could not manage on the pension.

May 12, 2012 at 7:47 AM

Let me make it clear,"<mmasdknwfbhjkcbndjfb"

mayabella said:
May 13, 2012 at 8:40 AM

"At the end of the day" blah blah blah... And yet, having lived in both the USA and Australia, it's important for me to say that Australia does make an effort to take care of her vulnerable people in a way that people in the USA only dream about. A few years ago I took a test and, despite living on the edge, due to having a roof over my head and a refrigerator with food in it, owning a computer with internet access ~ I am in the top 15% of wealthy people in the world. I am grateful for what we are given.

rockhen said:
May 13, 2012 at 3:39 PM

I always thought that the harder you work you would get the rewards. So how come by working hard every week to earn money and we are comfortable but not rich we see politicians of all parties acting like naughty school kids doing nothing but blaming everyone but themselves for their shortcomings, and earning megabucks compared to "main stream Aussies" Why can't we get the politicians we deserve!

PEN567 said:
May 15, 2012 at 9:25 PM

IT WAS WORTH,THE EFFORT,THAT I PUT IN,FOR THIS COMPETITION.I WAS GLAD TO,PUT IN SOME STORIES,ABOUT MY LATE MUM.SHE WAS SO SPECIAL,TO ME,AND I LOVED HER,WITH ALL MY HEART AND SOUL.

May 16, 2012 at 12:22 PM

What I don't understand is how Julia Gillard always says she acts in the best interests of all Australians. That is so untrue. Since when does she ever listen to ordinary Aussies or even have a referendum?

caff said:
May 17, 2012 at 8:43 AM

Wow it was great to win a prize! I am unable to send my address as my emails keep getting rejected.

May 17, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Hi Caff - I have sent a private email to the email address you provided on sign-up to clarify your details... Jess

hedy said: