Which number links the 'Deadly Sins' to the 'Wonders of the World'?

Seven
Three
Twelve
Twenty

What'll I do?

Jul
2011

I am getting to the point where I simply can't afford any entertainment - it makes too much work.

If I treat myself to watching Stephen Fry's 'quiz show', I have to go back and re-edit all our lovely clues which, he reveals, we thought we knew to be true, but which weren't.

Similarly, thanks to one of our many well-informed puzzlers, I can remember writing a clue reading 'Roman emperor who was not mad and who did not fiddle while Rome burned' for NERO.

Now I can't even enjoy the radio.

We are quite serious in the way we categorise our words and clues. It helps us to use the correct clue for that part of the English-speaking world a puzzle is intended for (and don't get me started on how difficult it is to write a clue that's suitable for all such).

So when I look at the clues we use for ACACIA, I find 'African savannah tree', 'African thorn tree' and 'Wattle tree', the latter being for Australian use only.

Wrong again.

Or rather, maybe the last is wrong and maybe the first is wrong or possibly the second BUT all three can't be correct after the 2011 botanists' get-together in Melbourne.

They are renaming things again, and the ACACIA renaming is a tricky one. Apparently, all ACACIAS aren't really the same and they're dividing the genus.

But people for whom the word ACACIA is a part of national identity (including me) have huge issues with this. Read more about this here.

Mind you, I may be complaining about having to change clues, but if the BANKSIA genus is suddenly expanded, that's nothing to the amount of work botanical artist Celia Rosser is in for.

It seems either Africa or Australia is going to lose the ACACIA name. What does it mean to you and will there be blood on the wattle?

Miranda

Important Message to Members

In recent days, we’ve had some feedback about the advertising on YouPlay, including the new video ads that run before our games load.

We know how passionate our Members are about YouPlay, however, for us to keep providing a free online puzzle service it is necessary that we earn revenue from advertising. YouPlay is a business like any other, and we are grateful to our site sponsors who enable us to meet our costs and continue operating.

We do feel we offer a lot to our Members at YouPlay for free, but if you feel the advertising is interrupting your gaming experience we suggest you take up the option of becoming a YouPlay Premium Member.

For a low $19.95 yearly fee, all pre-roll and in-game advertising will be removed from game play. (You'll also receive 4 free Lovatts puzzle magazines, plus have the opportunity to win additional cash and prizes.)

Thanks for reading – and for continuing to support YouPlay,

Andrew - Online Manager

REMOVE IN-GAME ADS - Upgrade to a Premium Membership

What'll I do?

July 20, 2011 at 7:04 PM

This is regarding your advertising. I cannot understand why people would complain. As far as I know, these ads are BEFORE the puzzle comes on. NOT DURING, as on TV programs. So what is the trouble? One does not have to watch or listen. I, for one am grateful to the YouPlay site for providing me with so many free puzzles daily. Good on you all.

July 20, 2011 at 7:08 PM

Miranda, how often do you think of our wattles as acacias? I never do, so for me it would be no loss. I was introduced to "wattles" when I first came to Oz in early 1949, and they have been so ever since. Plants often have their names changed, or their botanical names, that is. But who cares? We usually use the common names, and they remain the same, as a rule.

July 20, 2011 at 7:13 PM

Oops, I just realised I missed the point, Miranda. I guess that would make difficulties for you with your providing clues. Still, use the old names, and let people like me (yes I confess, I do sometimes write in to correct clues) just have their fun correcting you. At least it will be an easy way to learn the new names.

July 21, 2011 at 10:09 AM

Being a lover of Aussie flora (and fauna, which is why I hate cats, but that's another story), I do use the latin names, acacias, grevilleas, callistemons, melaleucas, etc. I guess the botanists can do what they like but chances are, I won't change. After nearly 60 years of loving this beautiful unique country, grumpy ol' men like me tend to stick with what they know!

July 21, 2011 at 10:13 AM

I suppose you could, space allowing, qualify the clues by adding "pre 2011" etc. Just a thought.

July 21, 2011 at 11:32 AM

Dear Andrew, I must admit the ads don't worry me at all, but the only thing that stops me from upgrading to premium service is the slowness of the site and the glitches it causes. I thought it may have been my old PC but recently I bought a new one and the site is still slow in downloading games. I am not savvy in IT but could it be your server or data banks need upgrading. It is not my ISP as a friend living 200km from me with a different service provider experiences the same problems. Having said that, I still enjoy the site but will not upgrade until the site speeds up.

dj1 said:
July 21, 2011 at 12:40 PM

A beautiful plant is the Australian wattle. You can hold it in your hand or stick it in a bottle.

July 23, 2011 at 7:20 AM

I don`t have a problem with the speed of downloading games,I also think the best thing I ever did was to upgrade to premium membership there is so much more that you can do. I feel it improves my enjoyment of playing games on the site.Keep up the great work.

elmo7 said:
July 23, 2011 at 7:25 AM

I wonder if pedro2 realises that one of the benefits of upgrading to premium is that the games load much faster because you dont get the ads in the game window.

July 23, 2011 at 6:23 PM

Dear elmo7, I thought about what you said and decided to give it a go. I just upgraded so I am looking forward to faster downloading.( Hopefully-lol) Thanks for your interest.

July 24, 2011 at 11:22 AM

PS: Dear Elmo7, since I upgraded the site has gone from a tortoise to a hare. I'm glad I listened to you. Once again "thank you" for your constructive comment.

elmo7 said:
July 24, 2011 at 7:52 PM

Hey pedro..no worries, glad I could help. Enjoy your puzzling.

mattjn said:
July 25, 2011 at 5:05 AM

Hi Miranda, there are over 1300 species of Acacia, most of which are native to Australia. The splitting of the family into smaller groups and renaming some will most unlikely affect the wattles. The same was done with the genus Eucalyptus with some very popular species being renamed Corymbia, such as the Lemon-Scented Gum. Other plants very similar to eucalypts, such as apple gums are known as Angophora. So you see, although botanists have divided a genus based on simple floral characteristics, the general Australian conscience knows them all as eucalypts. I suspect that in the case of wattles, any changes will apply to a small group of the plants. I love the puzzles, and my plants.

bika said:
July 25, 2011 at 11:52 AM

To the YP decision maker - I think Elmo's good work (above) deserves some free puzzle books, or something else deemed suitable appropriate by you. (PS elmo rocks :D). Signed: an unbiased bika

bika said:
July 25, 2011 at 12:26 PM

elmofingertitis strikes again.... delete "suitable" and replace with "suitably"

July 26, 2011 at 9:29 AM

I don't mind the ads, but I'm not even getting them. No ads, no gameload and thats after waiting 15min. Ridiculous.

July 26, 2011 at 9:58 AM

RE: To the YP decision maker - I think Elmo's good work (above) deserves some free puzzle books...

Absolutely - elmo7, if you email me your address (you can use the YP inbox) I will post you out a little something special for spreading the word about the benefits of becoming a Premium Member. And welcome to the club Pedro2!

Also, KaiapoiKen: sorry to hear you're having problems. If you fill in a Support Ticket, the Technical Team should be able to assist with this issue.

Tinkers said:
July 26, 2011 at 10:54 PM

Well said bika, I'm glad Jessie agreed with you re: elmo. This site has it's ups and downs....a glitch here and there, but it's a great games site with mostly friendly people using it.Thank you YouPLay for the hours of fun and friendship.