Which is a 'soft chalky rock'?

Malt
Malm
Manx
Mana

I like the sound of that...

Jul
2013

Having been a tad negative/cynical recently I thought I would share a few lines which are particular favourites of mine for their combination of sound and the images and emotions they evoke. Minor changes in language and usage may annoy briefly, but language in the hands of a poet is a lovely thing.

In Xanadu did Kubla Khan
A stately pleasure-dome decree

Coleridge

Go from me. Yet I feel that I shall stand
Henceforward in thy shadow

Elizabeth Barrett Browning

Elizabeth Barrett Browning

Image: Elizabeth Barrett Browning (http://en.wikiquote.org)

And down the sighing wind in vain
You hollo from the hill.

Housman

Joyful, joyful, joyful,
as only dogs know how to be happy

Neruda

There are some nights when
sleep plays coy,
aloof and disdainful

Maya Angelou

Lost as a candle lit at noon,
Lost as a snowflake in the sea.

Sarah Teasdale

The moon drained white by day
lifts from the hill
where the old pear-tree fallen in storm
springs up in blossom still

Judith Wright

Judith Wright

Image: Judith Wright (www.tumblr.com)

Green rushes with red shoots,
Long leaves bending to the wind

Arthur Waley

Some are old, some are newish, and you'll find lines as delightful in both poetry and song lyrics.
Have fun looking up the rest of each poem.
Do you have a favourite to share?

Miranda

I like the sound of that...

spoggy said:
August 14, 2013 at 4:27 PM

"are you out there ? can you see us? as we smile to think of you . Are you out there ? can you hear us ? as we break our hearts for you . Is it real ? or are we dreaming ,if your world's real, then has ours died ?Can you answer ? are you able ? our love bonds are still tied . {sorry , but is copy written }

August 14, 2013 at 5:07 PM

And pluck till time and times are done, the silver apples of the moon, the golden apples of the sun. W.B Yeats, "The Song of Wandering Angus" Before the last I will make my camp again in empty country, where the wild dogs sing their terrible hungers beneath the bitter moon. Tony Scanlon, "Wild Dogs"

August 14, 2013 at 5:11 PM

Resending to show line formatting: And pluck till time and times are done/ the silver apples of the moon,/ the golden apples of the sun./ W.B Yeats, "The Song of Wandering Angus" Before the last I will make my camp again/ in empty country, where the wild dogs sing/ their terrible hungers beneath the bitter moon./ Tony Scanlon, "Wild Dogs"

August 14, 2013 at 9:56 PM

There are many I could share. Perhaps John Donne's famous one is worth a second look... No man is an island, Entire of itself, Every man is a piece of the continent, A part of the main. If a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less. As well as if a promontory were. As well as if a manor of thy friend's Or of thine own were: Any man's death diminishes me, Because I am involved in mankind, And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; It tolls for thee. Then there are the love poems of Auden (although written for homosexual love, which is a bit of a problem for an old hetro like me), and yes, Stjohn, Yeats does it beautifully. I wish I had a tenth of their talent. I have from time time sweetened my love for my darling wife with some quotes from Lord Byron: She walks in beauty, like the night Of cloudless climes and starry skies; And all that 's best of dark and bright Meet in her aspect and her eyes: Thus mellow'd to that tender light Which heaven to gaudy day denies. One shade the more, one ray the less, Had half impair'd the nameless grace Which waves in every raven tress, Or softly lightens o'er her face; Where thoughts serenely sweet express How pure, how dear their dwelling-place. And on that cheek, and o'er that brow, So soft, so calm, yet eloquent, The smiles that win, the tints that glow, But tell of days in goodness spent, A mind at peace with all below, A heart whose love is innocent! Beautiful poetry is as beautiful as the sweetest music.

August 15, 2013 at 3:58 PM

"Hush. Listen. Time Passes." -I studied TS Eliot in highschool and 40 years later, when I am still and quiet, those words always come to me.

August 15, 2013 at 5:23 PM

AWAKE! for Morning in the Bowl of Night/ Has flung the Stone that puts the Stars to Flight:/ And Lo! the Hunter of the East has caught/ The Sultan's Turret in a Noose of Light. From the Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam.

spoggy said:
August 15, 2013 at 9:41 PM

Glen Campbell [in part] if time were not a moving thing , and i could make it stay , this hour of love we share could always be , there,d be no coming day to shed the morning light , make us realize our plight ,and say its over .

August 16, 2013 at 6:08 AM

Cheeky Spoggy. Are you endorsing a hot 'quicky'?

tiggercat said:
August 16, 2013 at 10:25 AM

To celebrate the coming of spring in my garden: I wandered lonely as a cloud/That floats on high o'er vales and hills,/When all at once I saw a crowd,/A host, of golden daffodils;/Beside the lake, beneath the trees,/Fluttering and dancing in the breeze./..... And then my heart with pleasure fills,/And dances with the daffodils. William Wordsworth

daffydill said:
August 16, 2013 at 4:12 PM

How beautiful at eventide/ To see the twilight shadows pale,/ Steal o'er the landscape, far and wide,/ O'er stream and meadow, mound and dale!/ ... Lucy's Song by Charles Dickens

kokokoala said:
January 07, 2014 at 11:00 PM

Just in case anyone from Youplay ever reads these blogs (which I doubt very much)why doesn't my query about not being able to become a Premuim Member ever get answered. Is my money not good enough for Youplay????

codlike said:
January 19, 2014 at 10:18 PM

*BLEEP*

ayla.shaw said:
February 17, 2014 at 1:55 PM

hi that was very good!

pdiaco said:
March 28, 2014 at 12:24 PM

Frankly, so that I don't nod off to sleep, I'd rather read poems created by the members, no matter how lame the lines are lol.

pdiaco said:
March 28, 2014 at 12:28 PM

kokokoala I see that you are in fact a premium member.

Rhino60 said:
June 27, 2014 at 5:57 PM

I recently saw a poem - in fact a song - by Weird Al Yankovic, entitled 'Bob' and is composed entirely of palindromes that rhyme. I found it clever - and hilarious. You Tube it - worth the effort :)

jafa said:
June 27, 2014 at 6:07 PM

That man has too much free time... :)))

Rhino60 said:
June 27, 2014 at 6:11 PM

Me? Or Weird Al? :P

jafa said:
June 27, 2014 at 6:14 PM

:))) Sorry. Weird Al. Those palindromes must have taken some time...

June 27, 2014 at 7:41 PM

I thought we had a new blog, now I find it's an old one resurrected by Rhino. My daughter used to have a heap of Weird Al's songs. Some of his lyrics are very funny. Rhino, we don't know if you're weird or not but we all have our little quirks.

Rhino60 said:
June 28, 2014 at 1:04 AM

With apologies to Forrest Gump, 'weird is as weird does' :P

June 28, 2014 at 5:22 AM

That was a good movie!

Rhino60 said:
June 28, 2014 at 5:52 PM

Forrest Gump is one of those movies that I will watch again and again, no matter how many times. It has everything; pathos, excitement, humour, a sensational soundtrack - and the use of poetic license is truly wonderful (viz. the origins of Elvis' dance moves, the words to 'Imagine' etc).

June 28, 2014 at 6:31 PM

I don't own the movie but I do have the soundtrack. You should join the main blog - we could do with another male voice there.

Yobro said:
July 07, 2014 at 1:03 AM

The degree of impact that words have on one is dependent on the state of mind you are in when you hear them, e.g. 10CC's song: "I'm not in love, so don't forget it. It's just a silly phase I'm going through." Would not mean much to the average person unless they were in or had been in that place the singer is lamenting about.

keight said:
July 07, 2014 at 1:29 AM

Too right Yobro! Great example.

jafa said:
July 07, 2014 at 5:23 AM

Whenever you feel strong emotions, there's a song out there that will touch a chord... kind of reassuring to know that we're not the only one... :)