Which song was NOT a hit in the 1960s?

"Light My Fire"
"A Whiter Shade Of Pale"
"Strawberry Fields Forever"
"American Pie"

A little light music...

Jul
2014

More words I'd love to add to our puzzles. Though I freely admit they're rather obscure and so not entirely suitable for all. It's just delightful that words which describe musical ensembles seem to have a rhythm of their own.

Even the word 'orchestra' (which, by the way, originally meant the area, in front of the stage, for the chorus) sounds inviting - though that's probably due to that lovely vowel at the end.

The CHARANGA is a traditional ensemble in Cuban music, developed in the 19th century and, plus or minus a few changes in instrumentation as fashions came and went, is still playing today.

In Asia, there are (obviously) many much older traditions of courtly or religious music and special combinations of instruments used to deliver it. The NOBAT of the Sultans of what is now Malaysia and the PINPEAT from Cambodia are both fixed combinations of instruments, playing music that is specific, and restricted, to formal court or temple occasions.

The GAMELAN orchestras of Java and Bali many have been named for the mallets which struck the metallophones (another lovely word). The gamelan orchestra is well known outside its homelands, too, having influenced Western composers since the time of Debussy and Satie.

From Japan, the TAIKO drum orchestra has also been exported throughout the world.

I think I could make a faint stab at correct pronunciation of most of the terms above. But when it comes to the PANCHAVADYAM of south-west India or the HSAING WAING of Myanmar (that's Burma), I'm not quite so sure. Better, perhaps, to try and find some recordings of the music they produce and simply listen to that.

Still, words don't have to be associated with music to sound delicious. What word do you love, not for spelling or meaning, but simply for the sound of it?

A little light music...

August 22, 2014 at 11:28 AM

morning all,still raining here and chilly, JAFA STOP with your crap, leave everyone on the blog alone, god sake jafa grow up .

fir said:
August 22, 2014 at 11:29 AM

Now that I know about this game, I will need to find some to watch. LOL Thank you all. Before I forget, I will be away at the lake this weekend so don't fret if I am MIA for a few days. :))

fir said:
August 22, 2014 at 11:32 AM

Save your breath, Noonee. She is not going to stop. She adores the attention she gets and doesn't care who she hurts in the process. Treat it as background noise. :))

August 22, 2014 at 11:37 AM

The Australian national women's team are called the Opals (real gems) and New Zealand the Silver Ferns and are usually at the top in international competitions and their rivalry is well known in the netball world.:))

jafa said:
August 22, 2014 at 11:38 AM

I'm verra nice to nice people noonee... :)))

August 22, 2014 at 11:39 AM

Arne might get to do some fishing...weather permitting...and that may ease his pain at being incapacitated:))

fir said:
August 22, 2014 at 11:44 AM

I know that he is anxious to get fishing so I hope that the weather cooperates. My daughter has a pontoon boat so it should be fairly easy to launch him onto the lake. LOL LOL

fir said:
August 22, 2014 at 11:45 AM

...and I said 'onto' not 'into'... LOL LOL

dingbell said:
August 22, 2014 at 11:47 AM

Re paramedics - the singer I saw last night has a line in a recent song titled 'Avant Gardener', "the paramedic thinks I'm clever 'cos I play guitar, I think she's clever 'cos she stops people dying'.." fir - Aussies have traditionally considered netball to be a girls game, not sure how that came about.

August 22, 2014 at 11:51 AM

Haha...fir, poor Arne...lol. Anyway I read in bed last night until after 2am and as a result did not wake until 10am and now my whole day seems out of "wack." Got to go have a shower and catch up with some small chores. Have a great day all:)) PS:- just remembered...footy tonight...yah!!!

mommyscat said:
August 22, 2014 at 12:04 PM

Haven't heard from Rhino in a while, hope he is OK. Finished his first book a while back and sent him an e-mail asking for the second one. Have had no reply.

jafa said:
August 22, 2014 at 12:33 PM

LOL In the Byron Echo newspaper, following the Nimbin mainstreet fire... "Police would also be interested to speak with the owner of the football pictured above, [picture of eel's football and bags of cannabis] which was found near the rear of Rainbow Lane, full of bags of cannabis." ...I wonder if anyone will claim it? LOL

August 22, 2014 at 1:45 PM

Yes, I've been wondering where rhino is too. We had to play netball in the UK at my all girls grammar school. Sport was compulsory and we played tennis and rounders in summer and netball and hockey in winter. I never heard of any boys playing netball in those days bit I don't think that girls played soccer then either.

nan_j said:
August 22, 2014 at 2:01 PM

I think we went to the same school jelly lol

August 22, 2014 at 2:05 PM

We had lots of rules and regulations, an ugly uniform and indoor and outdoor shoes! We always had to wear a hat or beret coming to and from school as well.

August 22, 2014 at 2:19 PM

same here jell with the nuns when I was at school.yeah fir your right , you going ok .is pouring down here. they are saying into next week we will get 200.400.mls of rain from a low off qld , starting on sunday.

nan_j said:
August 22, 2014 at 2:21 PM

Yes, I remember it well box pleated tunic's and the HAT and the prefects who caught you not wearing one!!

August 22, 2014 at 2:31 PM

Ah yes, forgot about the prefects but they didn't really bother us too much. They were more interested in dobbing in the fifth and six formers!

August 22, 2014 at 2:35 PM

There appears to be rain all along the coast from Ballina to Bundaberg. Harry will be happy as our garden will be getting some water.

August 22, 2014 at 4:44 PM

I went to a small school in Primary years, and I must admit to quite liking a uniform in High School, because it was something new under my sun I suppose. I kept individuality either in an inner pocket, or in my head..There you are - a `Herd Person`...a new topic has come up, so there`s a rest for the scrolling finger..

August 22, 2014 at 4:57 PM

I'm sure it will all kick off again tomorrow Pam if not sooner, but it would be nice if it didn't! My daughter is dragging me off to Bingo tonight and my granddaughter is coming too. It would be nice to have a little win.

mommyscat said:
August 23, 2014 at 9:07 AM

The gym uniforms we had to wear in Grade 7 and 8 were awful It was a one piece affair and had a straight body that ballooned out to the bottom and elastic around the leg openings. So you had all these girls bobbing around in these things that went straight up from the two sphere shapes at the bottom. I still think we must have looked like a bunch of orange pr1cks bobbing around in the gym.

mommyscat said:
August 23, 2014 at 9:09 AM

Sorry about that last line but that's how angry I felt about having to wear that indecent thing.

August 23, 2014 at 9:26 AM

That's very funny scat. Thankfully we didn't have to wear anything like that.

mommyscat said: