Which London street do you associate with fashion in the 1960s?

Liverpool Street
Carnaby Street
Harley Street
Vine Street

Happy New Words

Jan
2016

'For last year's words belong to last year's language' according to TS Eliot - though the various online discussions about the function of a dictionary would have words about that. It depends if one sees the dictionary as a guardian of the English one acquired in the various stages of education, or see them as observers and collectors of language as it is currently used.
I like the idea that the dictionaries scour text, in print, online or from any other source, to find how words are invented, or used, usually creatively, in different senses. But I'd never want to lose the ability to see 'old' words and meanings, if only to see how they've morphed over a lifetime of usage.
So I can't regret the inclusion of 'fitness trackers' in dictionaries, even though, for myself, I loathe the notion of having every movement monitored, and the almost inevitable degree of competitiveness that emerges from the data - 'I didn't reach my target of x thousand steps or, having reached it for a few days, I now have to do better...'.
And, sorry to all aficionados of felines out there, the notion of a 'cat cafe' is only slightly less appealing than being slobbered over by someone's canine while attempting the first espresso of the day before easing into a more substantial breakfast (insert rueful results of overindulgence in the holiday season here).
In Australia, the Macquarie dictionary includes 'deso' on its list of acquisitions for the year. Great abbreviation in typically Australian language-use style, economically giving us a replacement for the 'designated driver' so sensible if one has plans to overindulge.
Here are a few more observations of English in use that have found a home in various dictionaries in 2015 - 'crema' - the sign of a good coffee, 'photobomb' - the sign of an intruder in your selfie, 'fatberg' - the sign of an incipient rise in council rates, and 'hangry' - the sign of conditions which may induce a 'brain fart'. Of course, you may 'undorse' the use of any of these and pick your own word of 2015. Any suggestions?

Happy New Words

fir said:
February 02, 2016 at 3:30 AM

I hope you are feeling better today, Peter. Scat, you need to pace yourself. :))

keight said:
February 02, 2016 at 5:45 AM

And then there's the learnin' we get from our kids!

fir said:
February 02, 2016 at 5:48 AM

hahaha Kate...sometimes things we really didn't want to learn... LOL LOL

keight said:
February 02, 2016 at 5:51 AM

Must have been nice to hear from Mel, Fir. Anything that you feel you can expand on? I Hope she is doing well and wish her and her family all the best.

fir said:
February 02, 2016 at 6:14 AM

No problem, Kate...I kept the more private parts of the conversation to myself, as per usual, but I know that Mel wouldn't mind my updating you all. She knows that her Mom was happy being with us.

February 02, 2016 at 7:26 AM

Fir, thanks for the update on Mel.

fir said:
February 02, 2016 at 7:54 AM

Well, it's happened again. Hubby fell down the last 2 steps and landed on his knee...not the one he broke almost 2 years ago but the other one. He couldn't get up off the floor (even with my help) nor bend that knee. The knee was very swollen and painful. I called for an ambulance and off to the hospital he went. Just spoke to him and after xrays, the knee is broken. The doc. had just come in to talk with him about what they were going to do. When I hear more, I will let you know. :(((

keight said:
February 02, 2016 at 8:11 AM

Oh Dear Fir, what a sad state of affairs! :( Which bone (or bones) was broken? Will he need surgery?

fir said:
February 02, 2016 at 8:25 AM

Had a phone call from the hospital and they have taken him in for surgery on his kneecap. It's deja vu all over again. I don't know whether or not he will be home tonight.

keight said:
February 02, 2016 at 8:33 AM

Sorry, but I doubt if he will be home tonight if he is going in for surgery (depending on the anaesthesia and the extent of surgery required) Lots of TLC required when he gets home.

fir said:
February 02, 2016 at 8:37 AM

Yep... I remember that from the last time. :(( Que sera, sera....

zowie said:
February 02, 2016 at 9:48 AM

Thank you Fir for sharing the message from Mel. I wish her all the best. Hope all goes well with hubby.

February 02, 2016 at 9:56 AM

Thinking of you both, fir, I hope your husband gets maximum movement in that knee in record-quick time. I'm speaking from experience, a couple of weeks ago I couldn't get up after a fall either..

February 02, 2016 at 10:12 AM

morning all. sorry to hear fir .sending hugs . .yeah pammy .they are not nice .that's where its good here.just pick up the phone ,and there are people here to help .

jafa said:
February 02, 2016 at 10:15 AM

Gosh, that man and his knees. I wouldn't know whether to hug him or slap him :P When he recovers you should make him wear knee pads 24/7 :)) (at least he didn't crack his head) And now, with your LD, are you even up to nursing him this time???

jafa said:
February 02, 2016 at 10:25 AM

Thinking of Anne... still so shocking and sudden. Such irony that 2 invalid best friends died within 3 weeks of each other. Perhaps the death of her friend caused her too much distress. At least the husbands, also best friends, must have been a great support for each other. Anne would be reassured to know that.

February 02, 2016 at 10:38 AM

Good morning all :)) 30c and mainly sunny today. Sorry to hear about the accident to hubby's knee Luigi. :(( Hoping for a good recovery.:)) Thanks for the news re Mel, it was nice of her to remember me and wish me a Happy Birthday.:)) I woke up head-ache free this morning which is good :))