What is the national sport of Chile?

Surfing
Chess
Rodeo
Basketball

Quite Unqualified

Feb
2016

Completely unqualified? Slightly unqualified? Or even absolutely flawless?
The ambiguity in this pair of words arises from their both being words to which the description 'Janus word' may be applied.
So, why Janus? Janus was the Roman god of gates and doorways, or, more broadly, beginning, ends, and transitions. Hence Janus was also associated with the beginnings and ends of war. Interestingly, Janus had no equivalent in the Ancient Greek pantheon.
Janus was usually depicted with two faces, one facing forward and one facing back, or one looking to the future and one looking to the past.
And the Janus words (also called auto-antonyms or contronyms)? Well, the label derives from Janus having two viewpoints. What it means is that the word has two opposite meanings. These opposite meanings can result from two words now having the same spelling but each having arisen from different root words. Or they can arise from the usage of a word changing over time, or usage differing in different regions in which a language is used.
I was aware that 'let' once meant 'prevent' or 'hinder'. Now this meaning remains in the legal 'without let or hindrance' and a 'let ball' in tennis that has been prevented or hindered by hitting the top of the net. But, of course, 'let' now generally means being allowed or permitted.
For 'quite', one could be 'quite happy', meaning slightly so, or one could be 'quite ecstatic', meaning completely so. And 'unqualified' can be 'lacking the required qualifications', or it can mean the 'absolute' of 'an unqualified success'.
Such words are a delight to the compiler of cryptic crosswords, but can be more challenging in day-to-day use. I didn't know that 'table', in the sense of 'tabling a document', can only mean 'presenting the document for discussion' in British English, though, in American English, 'tabling' can also mean shelving its discussion.
So, peruse this. No, wait. 'Peruse' is also a two-faced object. It can mean to read or examine with care, or it can mean to read through in a leisurely way, possibly carelessly.
Help! (Yes, that's one too).

Quite Unqualified

keight said:
March 02, 2016 at 11:08 PM

Zowie, do you have post-accute care organised by the hospital? Do you have family that can help you while you recover? You shouldn't have to do it alone. Take care.

jafa said:
March 03, 2016 at 7:27 AM

Good morning YouPlay :))... Sometimes I think you are better alone after surgery. You can take your time and just do what you feel up to. There's no pressure to clean and tidy. I remember after my caesareans being told to 'take it easy for 6 weeks'. With a young family? LOL

March 03, 2016 at 7:29 AM

New Doctor, new words. Have an early appointment to be involved in a care-plan. I don't know what this entails....apart from this non-news, it's a fine, cool day

jafa said:
March 03, 2016 at 7:42 AM

Hamish, Pebbles and I are flying back to Kalgoorlie on Saturday. It would cost over $800 to send them unaccompanied or only $80 each if I go too. I'm going too. The man needs us to liven up the place. :P

jafa said:
March 03, 2016 at 7:44 AM

So what's the diagnosis Pammy? Are you well?

jafa said:
March 03, 2016 at 7:46 AM

This I found rather strange. A very nice aboriginal woman Ray works with said she'd find out who did it and make sure it doesn't happen to him again. Really? MAYBE MAKE SURE THEY DON'T DO IT TO ANYONE!!!

jafa said:
March 03, 2016 at 7:51 AM

The flight over always amuses me. Leave at 11am, home by 6pm (due to the time difference :P)

jafa said:
March 03, 2016 at 7:53 AM

MUCH quicker than driving :P. Though I think the pooches would rather the drive :P

March 03, 2016 at 12:28 PM

G'arvo all :)) 29c and sunny today. Some rain would be really appreciated if anyone "upstairs' is listening...thanks... Back to Kal, Jafs...did you buy a one-way ticket?...lol...:)) Is Ray picking you up in Perth or does the flight go through to Kal? You will get to see your new garden. :)) Pammy I hope your appointment is of benefit to you.:)) Hope Zowie is feeling better and not so sore today.:)) Luigi is real crook from the LD and tending to her presently incapacitated husband has taken its toll on her.:((...plus Amber has an infected scratch that also requires looking after.:((

zowie said:
March 03, 2016 at 12:50 PM

Pete slacking off is my middle name atm. HATE it! I am a doer... Thanks Kate, Pammy ,Noonee .Don't want fuss, my hubby does most things has done for a year now. Getting better at it haha I may fain poor me. Nah hate that.Home alone 4 days, g/son home at 3pm. I make sure I shower and look bright for him as he worries too much, hubby home at 6pm. Can see hubby is getting tired so have booked lawns to be done and house cleaning fortnightly till I can cope .AH 1st night slept in my lovely bed after 8 mnths sleeping on the recliner, so so good, not made I may just go back and luxuriate. Thank you all for your kind wishes. onwards and upwards.xx

zowie said:
March 03, 2016 at 1:01 PM

Hugs to Fir take care don't sweat the small stuff. All the best for a new care system Pammy take care too..... Yes Pete I am, tho the care I had was great. being home and no pain in my feet will only get better Thank you.

March 03, 2016 at 1:05 PM

A new topic has begun...something about shoes.

March 03, 2016 at 2:32 PM

yw zowie . just yell anytime . hey pete . will send lots of love to fir and send hugs .

nan_j said:
March 03, 2016 at 2:41 PM

I go for comfortable shoes these days, no more high heels for me :(