What was the name of Elrond's house in "The Lord Of The Rings"?

Rivendell
The Good Elf
Isildur
Mordor

Chocolate

Jul
2016

Yes, I thought that might catch your attention. I've always been a big fan of chocolate though I do try to be a bit disciplined in eating it. I focus on small amounts of good quality dark chocolate, which is delicious and enjoyable, but I also remember the bliss of pigging out on an entire bar of Old Jamaica. Oh yes, the unbeatable appeal of fat and sugar in one yummy package.
The interesting thing about chocolate is that, though we all know what it is and where it comes from, the actual words we use to describe its origins and processing are almost universally 'wrong', to the extent that any word can be 'wrong' when it's the term everybody understands and uses.
Cacao. The name of the plant from which the pods (oops, more on that one later) are harvested is Theobroma cacao and we should probably call the plant cacao and all its products cacao. But we don't. In fact, the product we know is cocoa, the darkly delicious powder added to cakes, or used to make a hot drink, or used in a savoury dish such as the 'mole'. This powder when mixed with sugar becomes 'drinking chocolate'.
There's no agreement on how cacao became cocoa. It's possible that it was a spelling error that became so entrenched in English that it simply can't be 'corrected' now. I put quote marks around the 'corrected' since, for me, if the term is entrenched to that degree, then it must be correct on grounds of functionality at the least.
So the name itself is questionable to some. Then there's the plant and the pods from which the cacao beans are harvested. No, again. From a strict botanical perspective, they are 'fruits', not 'pods', and the bits in them which contain that delicious cacao butter and solids are, in fact, 'seeds' and not 'beans' at all.
I think I'm going to need at least a bar of my old favourite to cope with this.
Are you a chocolate lover and, if so, what sort do you prefer?

Chocolate

jafa said:
July 31, 2016 at 1:46 PM

protesters Duh.

jafa said:
July 31, 2016 at 3:34 PM

OMGosh, I feel like peace on Earth has settled over all the land. "The Hills Are Alive With the Sound of Music" echoes in my mind. Thank you God. I should know not to get too excited too soon... but it all looks sooo good :)

jafa said:
July 31, 2016 at 3:38 PM

Wouldn't it be lov-ely to have a new blog and start off with all REAL genuine opinions :)) Where mutual respect abounds... Hallelujah! Tomorrow is the 1st. All fingers and toes crossed! :))

Muffy said:
July 31, 2016 at 5:23 PM

I wish I had "movin' pichers" of my late cat, Ashleigh, sitting and reading with the Hub. I have a few stills of the end result, the Hub stretched out on the sofa, totally absorbed in the book he is reading. And Ashleigh in one of two positions, the more common she has crawled up his extended body and placed herself; also stretched full length, head under his chin, reading the book with him. The more rare pose, she walked up the armrest or along the back of the sofa, then wrapped herself around Hub's shoulders, face parallel his, again reading the book. Ash was my "educated" cat, the reader. Willow, she watches TV. Winston, he's the great orator and talks a lot, mainly to Willow, but quite a lot to me. too. Almost never to the Hub, guess Win knows he won't listen!

July 31, 2016 at 5:33 PM

My son had a cat called `Tim` who was known to be Not Very Bright. He jumped on the kitchen bench and walked in the electric fry-pan - it wasn`t on `High`, but it gave him a nasty surprise. And he fell in the toilet. But ah, he was still beautiful....When I speak of him with love, the kids all chorus, `Of Blessed Memory`, eh, Mum?

July 31, 2016 at 5:39 PM

that was just beautiful pam .we had a great time

July 31, 2016 at 7:29 PM

Yes,noonee, on looking back, I think we did!

Muffy said:
August 01, 2016 at 3:42 AM

Today is Winston's birthday, he is 16. I was reading a book at the vet last week, well skimming it actually, and it seems that age is equivalent to between 82 and 88 human years. But he'll always be my baby boy.

August 01, 2016 at 7:11 AM

Happy Birthday to Winston! I'm looking forward to staying with my daughter for a few days as I get to spend time with her two cats. Loki likes to sit alongside my laptop and keep me company while I'm having my early morning cuppa. He's a smoocher. I wish Harry liked cats more than he does. He doesn't really dislike them but was used to farm cats that lived outside when he was growing up.

jafa said:
August 01, 2016 at 7:22 AM

HAPPY BIRTHDAY WINSTON!!! YAY! I hope mummy spoils you today :))

jafa said:
August 01, 2016 at 7:25 AM

Good Morning YouPlay :))... So, New South Wales doctors can legally prescribe medicinal cannabis for their patients from today. I may yet get to try this controversial substance :P

jafa said:
August 01, 2016 at 7:34 AM

I had to badger Ray yesterday to watch the Cuddly Cats youtube clip :P At last he did. His response was, "(grunt) Cats, I don't really like cats." But you love Zeus?? "Yes, well Zeus isn't really a normal cat." LOL LOL He continues, "I have a video on my phone with Zeus reaching out to me like that." Really? LOL LOL LOL Is that man too lovable or what? :)))

mommyscat said:
August 01, 2016 at 9:23 AM

Happy Birthday Winston! Hope you get lots of catnip and tuna and sardines etc. Enjoy your day with Muffy and the rest of the family.

nan_j said:
August 01, 2016 at 11:32 AM

Forgot to say Happy birthday to Winston ... 18 years is a good age for a cat.

nan_j said:
August 01, 2016 at 3:39 PM

I see there is a new topic well let's hope August is a better month!

Muffy said:
August 02, 2016 at 7:09 AM

Winnie, in is regal Persian way,says thanks for the well wishes. He had tuna, real tuna, not the kitty kind. And he had the leftover from the Hub's lunch: a casserole of tuna, ramen and american cheese. I find it ghastly, but the boys love it. Winnie licks the plate so clean, I almost don't have to wash it...almost! Back to my laundry!

Muffy said:
August 02, 2016 at 8:52 AM

OH yes, we did have a "visitor" on the morning of Winnie's birthday...he never noticed it(he's getting a bit blind), Willow, however; thought we bought her a toy. A nasty roach snuck in the kitchen door during the night (we've had lots of thunderstorms the last 4 of 5 nights, always brings the buggers out), and was still next to the door when we got up. It was 2 inches(5.7 cm) long, no kidding, and Willow was more than happy to play with it. The Hub heard me yelling, and saw me holding her back, so he crushed it with his shoe...not that it helps...and kicked it out the door. My hero! Time to put bleach and cleanser down the unused drains, as the bugs tend to crawl up those, too, and then shut them up tight.