This flower was named after a vain character in Greek mythology.

Iris
Agapanthus
Narcissus
Violet

Winter

Aug
2016

Shakespeare has it right, as ever, in this extract from As You Like It, about the hard wintertime. And while the antipodean winter in Australia is less biting than the northern hemisphere one, it's cold enough and dark enough in the early morning and evening to allow one to become a little low.
Blow, blow, thou winter wind.
Thou art not so unkind
As man’s ingratitude;
Thy tooth is not so keen,
Because thou art not seen,
Although thy breath be rude.
Heigh-ho! sing, heigh-ho! unto the green holly:
Most friendship is feigning, most loving mere folly:
Then, heigh-ho, the holly!
This life is most jolly.
Freeze, freeze, thou bitter sky,
That dost not bite so nigh
As benefits forgot:
Though thou the waters warp,
Thy sting is not so sharp
As friend remember’d not.
But, having just a glorious day of classic Sydney winter weather when the temperature was mild, the sun shining, with very little wind and the air clear, it's seems that winter can't be all bad. And when you settle down to cooking hearty winter dishes to share with family and friends, winter turns into one of the best of times.
What's your favourite winter activity?

Winter

outcattin said:
August 01, 2016 at 1:45 PM

outdoor winter activity i like to stargaze at night, the skies are so clear and packed with stars, if we have snow everything is super quiet and all the sounds are muffled, everything looks so clean and pristine white...indoor activity would have to be planning what i want to do in the garden for the next year

Dogstar said:
August 01, 2016 at 1:53 PM

I know our seasons run counter-cyclical, but it's quite a contrast to 34c today in Minnesota with 37c being forecast for Wednesday. And yet the days are noticeably shorter now and we know winter is coming.

jafa said:
August 01, 2016 at 2:43 PM

Yay. A new Blog topic. I'm so-oo happy :)

jafa said:
August 01, 2016 at 2:45 PM

My favourite winter activity is wearing boots :P LOL And snuggling up with a happy partner, pet, book. Not all at the same time :P

nan_j said:
August 01, 2016 at 3:48 PM

Mine is reading and doing catching up with my YP puzzles online and with their cross word books :)) and jafs you do suit boots!!

nan_j said:
August 01, 2016 at 3:54 PM

Actually a Christmas Carol just came to mind ... In the Deep bleak Winter" and that's how I feel at moment ...

nan_j said:
August 01, 2016 at 4:19 PM

and now Jessies back who will morph into Miranda tomorrow!

mommyscat said:
August 01, 2016 at 5:01 PM

My favourite winter activity, is snuggled up in a warm comforter in front of the fire with a hot mulled wine and sharing this time with others.

nan_j said:
August 01, 2016 at 5:32 PM

Well enjoy scat ... let's hope the last month is better than this:(

nan_j said:
August 01, 2016 at 5:54 PM

*that

August 01, 2016 at 6:13 PM

Hi, Jessie - well, many small things. Afternoon tea in the bright winter sun on the front veranda, cooking beef-stew and dumplings yesterday for lunch, putting on nightwear very early in the night, settling into my chair and watching TV or a film, and then settling in to a warm bed at night...saying this, I know myself to be well-off.....

nan_j said:
August 01, 2016 at 6:18 PM

... and all's well with the world pammy

August 01, 2016 at 6:32 PM

Oh, I know that one, nan - very expressive of the cold mid-winter - but reading the rest of that quote, it`s about the chill in the heart at friendship lost....hope that what was lost, was found again..

nan_j said:
August 01, 2016 at 6:43 PM

I don't feel that at the moment pammy some one thinks I am jafa

August 01, 2016 at 6:53 PM

Oh that is silly of them, nobody is anyone else, nan...

nan_j said:
August 01, 2016 at 6:59 PM

Well, I am only me pammy and please if any one else thinks the same just let YP know. YP can do a check.

nan_j said:
August 01, 2016 at 7:10 PM

Shame on you I have forwarded your inbox to YP.

nan_j said:
August 01, 2016 at 7:22 PM

Sorry, Shame I have replied my mistake.

fir said:
August 02, 2016 at 4:29 AM

Home from the lake. I am feeling very sad, yet angry at the same time. The less said, the better. :((

Nightfury said:
August 02, 2016 at 4:40 AM

Nan....you are who you are and nobody else.....let it go over your head and I am also sad Fir.....you are right....The less said the better

outcattin said:
August 02, 2016 at 8:09 AM

i had to google In The Bleak Midwinter, i'd never heard of that carol before

jafa said:
August 02, 2016 at 8:13 AM

Good morning YouPlay :))... Can you be sad someplace else? :) Especially if 'the less said the better'. Hm? We mostly get new bloggers with a new topic. Hm. Always great to see :))

jafa said:
August 02, 2016 at 8:22 AM

Your comment made me think what I'm going to plant in the spring Tayreh. Definitely watermelons. They were simple amazing. So sweet and bursting with freshness. Drool.

jafa said:
August 02, 2016 at 8:35 AM

So I've made an appointment with a GP for Thursday. Not my usual doctor, he takes 4-6 weeks to get in to see, he's become too darn popular. I will see one of his associates. So Thursday night I might get to see what all the fuss is about cannabis :P I admit to always being curious, at uni and especially after living in cannabis central for so many years in the valley :P

jafa said:
August 02, 2016 at 8:41 AM

Muffy I saw your post about Winston's 'party day' :)) Sounds like he still has a good appetite :)) That will keep him healthy :))

fir said:
August 02, 2016 at 8:58 AM

I will feel whatever I feel, whenever I feel, wherever I want. I don't need your permission. Of course I can always explain why I am feeling the way I do but for the sake of other bloggers, I choose not to.

August 02, 2016 at 9:02 AM

It's great to make new friends - welcome to the blog, dog star - but it surely makes you sad to he missing longtime bloggers....I'm off to town because I got a cancellation Specialist appointment - 'bye!

jafa said:
August 02, 2016 at 9:09 AM

Good luck at the specialists pammy. I hope the results of your day surgery are excellent! :))

jafa said:
August 02, 2016 at 9:27 AM

LOL :))

tiggercat said:
August 02, 2016 at 9:35 AM

I'm sure we used to sing 'In the Bleak Midwinter' in church in Scotland when I was a child, such a beautiful hymn/carol that summed up the winter chills: "In the bleak mid-winter Frosty wind made moan, Earth stood hard as iron, Water like a stone; Snow had fallen, snow on snow, Snow on snow, In the bleak mid-winter Long ago." There are multiple versions on YouTube to listen to if interested.