Which suffix can be added to 'friend' to make a new word?

Ful
Ary
Ly
Dant

Winter

Aug
2016

Shakespeare has it right, as ever, in this extract from As You Like It, about the hard wintertime. And while the antipodean winter in Australia is less biting than the northern hemisphere one, it's cold enough and dark enough in the early morning and evening to allow one to become a little low.
Blow, blow, thou winter wind.
Thou art not so unkind
As man’s ingratitude;
Thy tooth is not so keen,
Because thou art not seen,
Although thy breath be rude.
Heigh-ho! sing, heigh-ho! unto the green holly:
Most friendship is feigning, most loving mere folly:
Then, heigh-ho, the holly!
This life is most jolly.
Freeze, freeze, thou bitter sky,
That dost not bite so nigh
As benefits forgot:
Though thou the waters warp,
Thy sting is not so sharp
As friend remember’d not.
But, having just a glorious day of classic Sydney winter weather when the temperature was mild, the sun shining, with very little wind and the air clear, it's seems that winter can't be all bad. And when you settle down to cooking hearty winter dishes to share with family and friends, winter turns into one of the best of times.
What's your favourite winter activity?

Winter

August 02, 2016 at 9:39 AM

Gosh that really does made you shiver...

August 02, 2016 at 10:17 AM

morning fir pam .yes im very angry also .wont say anymore until yp does something .will chat later.bye

August 02, 2016 at 12:46 PM

i found out today that cats can get what is called "whisker fatigue" from their whiskers touching the sides of their food and water bowls...apparently because the whiskers are super sensitive it stresses them out to have them touching the bowl constantly, which is why they tend to paw food out of their dishes onto the floor

nan_j said:
August 02, 2016 at 12:55 PM

We had a cat who used to do that with his food. Thanks for that outcattin

keight said:
August 02, 2016 at 1:08 PM

Thanks Cat. That makes sense as to why mine always takes her food out of her bowl before eating it. I guess the answer is to give them a shallow saucer instead of a bowl.

August 02, 2016 at 1:29 PM

nice to be able to pass on some useful info other than just blathering on about my kids :D ...feeding as many as i am i bought the largest flowerpot drip saucer i could find and filled that...when the food bag rattles they come a running so there's plenty of room for everyone to chow down at once

keight said:
August 02, 2016 at 2:45 PM

We love hearing both the stories and the advice, Cat. Please Keep them coming!

Muffy said:
August 02, 2016 at 5:47 PM

Very interesting,'Cattin. I feed my "children" on saucers, and they only have water in a bowl. So, unless they are very, very thirsty; they should not get whisker fatigue. At times, though, Winnie moves the water bowl, usually using his paws to pull it toward the centre of the room. Ever hear of anything like that?

Muffy said:
August 02, 2016 at 6:02 PM

Let’s see, what is my favourite winter activity? Real winter with snow and below zero temps or Southern AZ winter, which is only damp and hardly any days with freezing weather? In both, I love to bake muffins or cookies, and then sit in front of a fire with the Hub and the kitties, enjoying the baked goods with a cuppa or some coffee. In a snowy clime, I like to just walk and enjoy the cleanliness of the white on everything (fresh snow), or the glittering, ice encrusted branches, and then maybe make snow angels just before going in. In the right sort of snow, I also enjoy making snow people. In the non-winter Arizona winter, it’s nice to walk early in the morning, to see the birds and critters coming out to feed; or heading in if they are nocturnal. It’s also nice to be able to swim (in a heated pool) and not have to worry too much about weather.

August 03, 2016 at 4:00 AM

they says cats dont like to have their water dish near their food dish, maybe mr. winston is just moving it a little farther away? ive noticed most of my cats drink by dipping a paw in the water and then slurping it off their paw...doesnt matter if its the bowl in the house, the birdbath, either of the ponds or just a puddle...

August 03, 2016 at 5:29 AM

Good morning YouPlay :))... I've seen cats splash their water before drinking which fits reading somewhere that cats prefer moving to still water. Our two don't mind so long as it's filtered water. I've never had a cat move dishes before though :S Dogs? Yes :))

August 03, 2016 at 5:37 AM

I think I would enjoy winters with snow. It is so beautiful. Not too much snow though :P And I'd get to wear my boots :P I wore my big hairy uggies one morning this winter here. That's it so far :( All my other boots, galoshes to equestrian to fashion, all remain tucked up in storage. Boo,hoo.

August 03, 2016 at 5:45 AM

Ray tells me he saw a mouse peek out in our lounge room. So he duly set a trap, (where the dogs can't reach :P). Pebbles has been snuffling around searching for something (mice?) as well. Yesterday I received an SMS. Mouse count 2. Pebbles-1, Ray-1. He seems pretty happy with her hunting skills :P

August 03, 2016 at 5:50 AM

It reminded me of being a young teen and having a white pet mouse that I kept in a cardboard box. LOL Yes, it escaped, and set up residence in my mum's kitchen. I cried down thoughts of placing a trap, insisting I could catch it... LOL That cute little white nose and beady black eyes were regularly seen peeking out from behind cupboards for quite a long time after that. LOL

August 03, 2016 at 6:05 AM

Muffy, at least Winston is moving the water bowl with his paws. When he stares at the bowl and moves it with his mind THATS when you might want to start worrying. Or get the video camera rolling

August 03, 2016 at 8:55 AM

Are there any reports of cats moving things with their minds?? :P I know they can be spooky about precognition. Dogs too. I still can't believe Hamish knew when Missymoo used to drive in, whether the beau was in the car or not. He'd happy-bark when he heard her car and it was just her or growl/bark if the beau was along. Spooky.

August 03, 2016 at 9:22 AM

I reckon a video of Winston moving the water dish would be interesting on youtube. :)) Depends a bit on how long it takes him :P Still interesting nevertheless.

August 03, 2016 at 10:37 AM

I watched on youtube, the 40 most beautiful movie stars pre 1960. The thing I noticed most was the vast variety of noses. Modern movie stars all have 'perfect' noses :P

August 03, 2016 at 10:43 AM

modern movie stars have all had rhinoplasties...Vanity thy name is Hollywood!

August 03, 2016 at 10:49 AM

LOL And all ladies now have 'perfect' breasts :P I prefer the variety of natural looks.

August 03, 2016 at 10:51 AM

unfortunately vanity can kill a person's acting career as in the case of Jennifer Grey who starred in Dirty Dancing and played the sister in Ferris Bueller's Day Off...she had her nose fixed and no one wanted to hire her because she wasnt as recognizable...now there are kid actors 14-15-16 years old getting nose jobs, b00b jobs, or anything else done...i can see dental surgery to fix one's teeth, but come on! REVEL in that crooked nose unless it causes breathing issues!

August 03, 2016 at 10:55 AM

I agree. And what about Renee Zellweger? She was so quirky and gorgeous. Now she's unrecognizable :((

August 03, 2016 at 11:01 AM

i havent seen her in many movies lately either

August 03, 2016 at 11:07 AM

The last I heard she is not even considered for the next Bridget Jones' Diary :( We are funny things we humans. Once we bond with someone, we love them just the way they are. And we continue to love them through the ageing process, hardly noticing the ravages of time.

August 03, 2016 at 11:09 AM

we found a shoebox full of old black and white and some sepia photographs while sorting things in the attic at my parents house, pictures taken when my parents were in their teens and early twenties...my mom looks like she could have walked the red carpet with any of the celebrities in the late 40's/ early 50's, she's never carried a purse or worn makeup of any kind other than lip balm in the winter...never desired to have any plastic surgery of any kind...she's grown old very gracefully and says she's earned every grey hair

August 03, 2016 at 11:11 AM

she was best friends with my dad since they were about age 6 and have been best friends ever since...they married right after high school and this december will be their 60th wedding anniversary...i love the fact they still hold hands when they go out in public

August 03, 2016 at 11:14 AM

well maybe not "right" after high school...my dad went in the air force and they married at 23

August 03, 2016 at 11:19 AM

It's a love story :)) How beautiful. What a fabulous thing to be a part of, and a product of. Truly romantic. And it makes you feel good just to hear about their bond :)) Thank you for sharing Tahreh.

August 03, 2016 at 11:27 AM

in this day and age when so many marriages dont last a single year, i think it's really fantastic and romantic...and the funniest coincidence is their birthday month and day are reversed, one is 05/12 and the other is 12/05

August 03, 2016 at 11:30 AM